Paschim Paaila is an informal youth network focused on environmental health with water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and disasters as social concern. It was formed on July 17, 2009 after the outbreak of Diarrhoea/Cholera epidemic in Mid and Far Western region of Nepal with a youthful spirit of selfless volunteer service. Being a YOUTH MOVEMENT (YUWA ABHIYAN), it envisions environmentally sound and healthy communities through youth led initiatives. It is also dedicated to act to prepare, respond and mitigate disasters/epidemics through WASH education, awareness, research and advocacy. ENPHO is providing secretariat for Paschim Paaila.
THE STORY BEHIND:
On 2009, diarrhea/cholera epidemic were swelled in more than 16 mid and far western districts of Nepal that had immensely affected the human lives. During April-July, 2009, diarrhea/cholera claimed more than 300 lives on the affected areas and thousands were become sick. To encounter the situation, more than 100 youths from Kathmandu directly or, indirectly engaged actively and had their efforts to reduce the deaths and prevent to further worsening the situation about a month starting from 17th July, 2009 with a campaign entitled, Paschim Paaila. Then, Paschim Paaila has been initiating further to continue its initiatives via youth led.
The vision is to create environmentally sound and healthy communities for sustainable development throuth youth led initiatives with the mission statement, “Youth Initiative for Healthy Communities”
The goal is to contribute for the attainment of the highest level of health of the people through youth led initiatives.
- To empower youths on environmental health and emergencies through various capacity building activities;
- To raise the issues and enhances the voices of the community through youth led initiatives;
- To organize various environmental health events having national and international significance;
- To research the present status, issues related to environmental health and emergencies;
- To act to reduce the risk of health before, during and after emergencies;
- To build network and expand collaboration with other institutions/ organizations having similar objectives and common interest;
- To represent youths in national policy/ decision making levels as key stakeholders.
o Youth empowerment
o Youth to youth approach
o Mass communication
o Maintain sustainability
o Institutional development
o Resource mobilization
o Social marketing
- Volunteers mobilization and networking on WASH and Emergencies;
- Community sensitization and campaigning;
- WASH Promotion and capacity building on emergencies/outbreaks;
- Youth Empowerment in WASH and Emergencies;
- Information management and social networking
- “SANIHEALTH CONCERN”-A news collection e-blog on environmental health with water, sanitation, hygiene and emergencies
- WASH FORUM" – A regular talk program on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene as social issues on every English last Friday.
- “Day In Focus” - Celebration of nationally and internationally important day/events related to environmental health.
- “WASH Campaigns” – Regular WASH Awareness campaigns at community/ schools/ colleges and other areas.
- “Trainings/workshops” – On different issues regarding Environmental health and emergencies focusing on youths.
- “WASH Leadership Hiking” – A regular hiking fun with learning on WASH
- “Youth WASH Concern Workshop” – A regular concern workshop for youths on WASH with creating “Youth WASH Ambassadors”.
- “Research/Monitoring” – Different research and monitoring activities has been conducting inside and outside the Kathmandu Valley.
- “WASH/Photo Exhibition” – Exhibition on different events, programs, sites, etc. with sensitizing youths/communities in which different prototypes, materials, photographs, etc. are presented.
- “Youth Empowerment Project” - Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Led Youth Empowerment projects are basically focused and going on side by side at rural and urban areas on Nepal as well.
- “EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND”- A fund for reducing emergency suffering.
- “Epidemic Free Nepal” Campaign - The campaign for raising issues and advocating for Nepal, a WASH related epidemic free through youth led initiatives.
Governance Body, Executive Board – 7 members
Management Body, Working Circle – 15 members
Advisory Body, Advisory Board – 5 members
Strategic Body, Strategic Team – 5 members
Rapid Response Body, Rapid Response Team (RRT) Facilitators – 25 members
Ms. Anita Bhuju, Network Coordinator,
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel No. +977-01-4468641, 4493188, +977-9849358197
- Mr. Bhushan Tuladhar, UNHABITAT
- Mr. Namaste Lal Shrestha,UNICEF,
- Dr. Roshan Raj Shrestha, Environmentalist
- Dr. Bandana Pradhan, Institute of Medicine
- Dr. Suman Kumar Shakya, ENPHO